Current SPAD.neXt Release: 0.9.12.123

This forum has closed. Please join our Discord Community.

SPAD.neXt online services are no longer available for SPAD.neXt Versions < 0.9.11.5

FIP's Warning.

Discussion about special hardware
Oz Flyer
Betatester

FIP's Warning.

Post by Oz Flyer » 11 Oct 2017, 09:25

Hi All,

Just a warning about the knobs on the Saitek FIP's I had my hard glass case knocked off the shelf above my panels only to hit one of the knobs full on.

Due to the construction I did not notice it until I went to use it that the knob was broken :( .

There is a sleeve molded into the front panel in which a drive shaft fits the knob is only held onto this shaft with a 1mm pin out the end. This shaft is captive in the sleeve one end is the knob the other has a flange.
The flanged end then has a square pin that fits into the encode on the board.

This is going to be fun to fix :evil: as if glue runs and gets between the shaft and sleeve then its stuffed never to work again.
David
OZ Flyer
Near YMMB
40+ year of Flight Siming.
Sim: subLOGIC/Microsoft Flight Sim's/DTG FSX, Microsoft Flight, DTG Filght School/FSW/Train Sim/TSW, ETS2 & ATS.
Hardware: Logitech, Saitek, Arduino 2560's & Leo's, BBI-32, PAC LED.

thedazman
Betatester

Re: FIP's Warning.

Post by thedazman » 11 Oct 2017, 23:56

I had a dial that was very stiff and the dial litteraly came off in my hand. I also couldn’t believe how narrow the dial shaft is. Fortunately mine was under warranty and I got it replaced, but saitek confirmed the dials can not be replaced.

So if your dials have a bit of friction when turning don’t spin them fast as they will literally shear the shaft.

I feel your pain

Daz
"theDAZman" aka "theGFXguy"
https://fipgauges.com

Oz Flyer
Betatester

Post by Oz Flyer » 12 Oct 2017, 10:27

If you have stiff knobs you could try getting some light oil the type used for sewing machine's.
Undo the case and put a drop or 2 in from inside the case under the flange and work it in by turning the knob.

I have a friend that has some old dental drills (the old type that hang from the roof) can drill a very small hole in the knob and we can put a small amount of supper glue in from the front.

If not it may be time to find some one with a real good 3D printer.
David
OZ Flyer
Near YMMB
Sim: subLOGIC/Microsoft Flight Sim's/DTG FSX, Microsoft Flight, DTG Filght School/FSW/Train Sim/TSW, ETS2 & ATS.

thedazman
Betatester

Post by thedazman » 12 Oct 2017, 17:27

I gather it’s not under warranty.

That shaft is so dam small it ridiculous it’s amazing more people don’t complain about it. Saitek/madcatz at the time had no issues replacing under warranty fortunately

I’ll probably oil my stiff ones as you suggest as regular use hasn’t freed them up at all

We really shouldn’t be talking about stuff knobs or we risk getting banned :-)

Daz

BBQSteve
First Officer

Post by BBQSteve » 12 Oct 2017, 17:35

The Saitek panel switches are the same way. I drilled mine out slightly oversized and haven't had a problem since.

Oz Flyer
Betatester

Post by Oz Flyer » 12 Oct 2017, 23:02

thedazman wrote:I gather it’s not under warranty.
No got them back in Sep of 2014. :(
David
OZ Flyer
Near YMMB

thedazman
Betatester

Post by thedazman » 20 Mar 2018, 21:30

Just had my second FIP knob literally fall off!!

However I’ve taken my FIP apart and found the rotary encoder uses a 1.5mm hex socket and a 1.5mm hex screwdriver bit fits perfectly and acts like a knob too (almost!), but i’m Not modifying the case just yet to get it through because i’m Looking at making some custom knobs.

Planning on using short shafts from a 1.5mm Allen key (cut up) and pushed and glued into a 5-10mm grub screw, then to push the 1.5mm shaft through the existing casing hole into the rotary encoder with the grub screw on the outside of the case, that just leaves you to mount a small dial on the grub screw.

I plan on ordering some parts and if it works well i’ll photo or video the results......

Daz

Oz Flyer
Betatester

Post by Oz Flyer » 20 Mar 2018, 22:21

Daz,
?? Allen keys are HEX, 6 sides the holes in my encoders are square. 6 into 4 is not a good fit will ware the encoders.

I was able to glue the knob back on the end of the shaft but took 3 attempts to get enough glue on to hold it but not stick it to the case.

I was looking at 3D printing new knobs in 2 parts the shaft and the knob where the knob would have a hole the same as the encoder for the shaft then glue on the top/outside. Then just sand and paint.
David
OZ Flyer
Near YMMB

thedazman
Betatester

Post by thedazman » 20 Mar 2018, 23:15

Ooooh, that could be an issue, the one I took apart was DEFINATELY Hex holes and a 1.5mm allen key/ screwdriver bit was a perfect fit. 10mm Rotary Encoder made by "SW", took me ages to find the component on google and came across zero knobs to fit.

The actual encoder in my FIP: https://soundwell.en.alibaba.com/produc ... H_HA3.html

The shaft on the fip dial was also hex, thought it was round at first.

I'm going to have to open all 11 of my FIPs to make sure the encoders are all the same.

However I also managed to glue the knob back on VERY successfully, but I am still looking for an "upgrade" the idea of having custom knobs appeals

I'm also in the market for a 3D printer, but no idea where to start ???? spent ages doing research and back at square one.

I've also just bought myself a Arduino UNO and a starter & sensor kit to play with and having great fun creating totally random projects and wondering how I can introduce them into my cockpit. I know SPAD can see Arduino as a HID device, but not sure what else SPAD.neXt can do with one.

Getting a bit off subject now :-)

I'm still looking at a better dial solution for my FIPs as they get a ridiculous amount of use during gauge development and testing. I do have one spare FIP thanks to donations, but I can't have them falling apart on me now.

Daz

Oz Flyer
Betatester

Post by Oz Flyer » 21 Mar 2018, 12:18

I just wished c0nnex had finished the look a likes he had started working on as the real ones are no long affordable here in OZ.
I have only had the one apart and it is a MZ s/no. & I got it in 2014.

As for the link I do not need 1,000 of them :-)

As for the Arduino SPAD only see them as HID (so far at this time). There is other software out there that will send FSX data to them as well. There is some info in Oldairmail posts.
David
OZ Flyer
Near YMMB