Current SPAD.neXt Release: 0.9.12.123

This forum has closed. Please join our Discord Community.

SPAD.neXt online services are no longer available for SPAD.neXt Versions < 0.9.11.5

Incredible I/O touchscreen display for instruments

Discussion about special hardware
BBQSteve
First Officer

Re: Incredible I/O touchscreen display for instruments

Post by BBQSteve » 28 Sep 2017, 17:30

I have the nextion sending keyboard commands to my P3Dv4 sim without a problem. I also have a Mega board controlling lights and buttons that I can't get interfaced because of lack of software. Seems one device does one thing with a piece of software and another device does something else with a different software and none of the devices or software does it all. My setup at present has the Nextion sending keyboard commands defined in the sim via com2kybd software. The Mega sends FSUIPC commands via MobiFlight software. Although the Mega can handle a 4x4 keypad, the MobiFlight can't, so now I need a third MCU and software to use the keypad. Yes I could use the Nextion and set up a keypad, but I want a physical device just for the look in my console. I should also add I have a DSD Black Max button, switch and encoder box also interfaced. It would have been so nice to have one piece of software controlling all these devices and talking to FSUIPC or SimConnect..

BBQSteve
First Officer

Post by BBQSteve » 28 Sep 2017, 18:10

When I go into Spad.Next, I do not see any boards recognized. How do you get them recognized and configured? I have a Mega and a DSD 32-button HID device.

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 29 Sep 2017, 03:53

I have no clue what "com2kybd" is, and can't find it. Refs?

Arduinos using MobiFlight will not show up in SPAD.neXt.

Actually, at this point in time, NO Arduino boards will show up in SPAD.neXt unless you've programmed the Arduino as a simple USB/HID device. At that point you can use SPAD.neXt to do just about anything that a normal USB/HID game controller would do.

But a SPAD/Arduino interface would give us tremendous flexibility.

DSD button boxes are just USB/HID devices and can be programmed just like any other game controller.

Here is where to look for it -

As to the Nextion, that isn't a USB/HID device, so it won't show up in SPAD.neXt either.

The Nextion can send or receive signals, and can change the display to reflect that.

Because the Nextion display itself handles the changes, the Arduino isn't going to be a drag on the flight sim computer like the Saitek FIP.

You have hit on one very significant fact -
At the moment, if you want many self made add-on's, from single LEDs or home made FIPs, to buttons/switches/encoders, and beyond, you HAVE to have many different programs running at the same time.

I'd rather wait and get it right.
1 Saitek Switch Panel, 1 Radio Panel, 1 Multi Panel, 1 BIP, 1 FIP,
1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,
1 Saitek Throttle, 1 Saitek TPM, 1 Desktop Aviator GPS, 1 CH Yoke

Registered

BBQSteve
First Officer

Post by BBQSteve » 30 Sep 2017, 17:44

http://com2kbd.software.informer.com/

Sorry for the misspelling. My DSD does not show up like that.

BBQSteve
First Officer

Post by BBQSteve » 30 Sep 2017, 17:51

I just noticed, we have different versions and I don't understand why. Mine is 9.6.25, you have 9.6.32. I thought spad updated automatically?

BBQSteve
First Officer

Post by BBQSteve » 30 Sep 2017, 18:21

I just noticed that all this time I have had the registered version, I have not had the "CONTROLS" tab in SPAD.Next. I just updated to the beta and re-registered and now I do. I can see all my devices now where I could not before. ????????????

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 30 Sep 2017, 19:27

BBQSteve wrote:I just noticed that all this time I have had the registered version, I have not had the "CONTROLS" tab in SPAD.Next. I just updated to the beta and re-registered and now I do. I can see all my devices now where I could not before. ????????????
That's interesting to know. I've used the full versions from the start so I have no clue what the basic version has in it.

Anyway, you're set to go. :)
1 Saitek Switch Panel, 1 Radio Panel, 1 Multi Panel, 1 BIP, 1 FIP,
1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,
1 Saitek Throttle, 1 Saitek TPM, 1 Desktop Aviator GPS, 1 CH Yoke

Registered

BBQSteve
First Officer

Post by BBQSteve » 04 Oct 2017, 19:48

I too have used it from the start, but never had the "Controls" tab. Guess the registration didn't take.

Well after much trial and error, I think I have decided on a configuration. I have the DSD Black Max II via FSUIPC for 21 buttons and switches and 5 encoders. Then I have the Arduino Mega running with Mobiflight for the GPS dual encoder, brake, outter, middle and inner markers with more to follow. The Nextion is reserved for those functions dedicated to keyboard input and a dedicated keypad because as yet, no interface to P3D. I have the Saitek radio, multi and switch panel, along with the Saitek yoke and rudder pedals to round out the hardware. I have three 5x7 MIMO USB touch screen monitors as well running SPAD.Next and fpsgauges.com info, power and BIP gauges, SPAD.Next free Alt, speed, PFD, heading and rpm gauges. This puts all the control and information I think I need. Still working on a similar GPS setup as yours, but have to decide which one to base it on.

BBQSteve
First Officer

Post by BBQSteve » 11 Oct 2017, 21:31

Made a demo video of my setup. Not professional, but shows what is possible:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8fbk6k6cynu8v ... s.MP4?dl=0