Current SPAD.neXt Release: 0.9.12.123

This forum has closed. Please join our Discord Community.

SPAD.neXt online services are no longer available for SPAD.neXt Versions < 0.9.11.5

Arduino controler

Discussion about special hardware
TWIVEZY
Flight Attendant

Re: Arduino controler

Post by TWIVEZY » 20 Jul 2017, 09:07

OldAirmail wrote: Someone interested in a full set of panels with lots of LED's for a Airbus is going to need more controls. But even there, I find tying single LED's to an instrument switch no big deal. You turn a switch, a light comes on. Simple. No need for a processor.
Haha, I wish it were that simple for the Airbus LED switches, but I have good hope now with the Pacled64s ordered. 7 segment displays could be my next project.
Saitek HW: ProFlight Yoke (upgraded with springs and a LeoBodnar JC), 2 TQs, 2 RPs, MP, SP
Other HW: MFG rudderpedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Joystick, DIY A320 glareshield (WIP; 3 BBI32s and 2 PACLED64s)

Oz Flyer
Betatester

Post by Oz Flyer » 20 Jul 2017, 10:54

I am using the the Leonardo board for the switch's in my GPS and in a gear shifter i am building for ETS2/ATS for starters.
I am hoping that the Leonardo board is at least one of the supported Arduino boards.
Looking at it should have more then enough in the CPU to drive 7 Segment displays.
Then I can start on a new full on radio stack with all displays.

@Ulrich I am in NO way trying to put the hard word on you, when and if it get done, It get done.
David
OZ Flyer
Near YMMB
40+ year of Flight Siming.
Sim: subLOGIC/Microsoft Flight Sim's/DTG FSX, Microsoft Flight, DTG Filght School/FSW/Train Sim/TSW, ETS2 & ATS.
Hardware: Logitech, Saitek, Arduino 2560's & Leo's, BBI-32, PAC LED.

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 22 Jul 2017, 03:53

I'd be happy with almost any one of them.

Even if it's only a one or two, we can start dreaming up uses.

And as I prefer the small GA aircraft one or two would probably give me everything that I'd want.

Or maybe not. :D

On the way home from work I was thinking how much fun it would be to make a stick shaker.

The basic information may already be there to use. :D

1 Saitek Switch Panel, 1 Radio Panel, 1 Multi Panel, 1 BIP, 1 FIP,
1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,
1 Saitek Throttle, 1 Saitek TPM, 1 Desktop Aviator GPS, 1 CH Yoke

Registered

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 22 Jul 2017, 04:03

Another thought.

The motor for a "stick shaker" would be no problem. I have plenty of spare computer fans. I also have a 6 inch USB desk fan with plenty of power. The desk fan would probably be the more robust.
1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,

Registered

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 07 Aug 2017, 05:52

For what it's worth....

I'd like to keep any instrument enclosures on the small(ish) side.

One of Ulrich's choice in Arduinos is the Arduino Mega2560 R3. No question, it's much better than the Arduino UNO. I just don't like the size.

So I found the New Small Meduino Mega2560 R3 Pro Mini ATMEGA16U2 Female header for Arduino.

The price isn't all that bad, and hopefully the size is right - $14.99 USD.

When it gets here (from China) I'll play around with it and post anything that's interesting
1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,

Registered

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 12 Aug 2017, 21:08

Smaller isn't always better, but sometimes it's more desirable. Cheaper helps a lot too, :D

So here's Part 1 of the search for a smaller Arduino Mega2560 R3, one of the Arduinos that Ulrich believes to be a good choice for a SPAD.neXt connected controller in addition to, or along with, an Arduino Teensy.

Limiting the number of Arduino type boards is probably the best way to avoid headaches, and lets face it - simpler can be a lot better at times.

For those new to these posts, the Arduino is a multipurpose controller board. The pins on the board can, within limits, work as input or outputs - i.e. one board can provide switches, buttons, encoders, single or 7 segment LED displays at a price and size well below other solutions such as the Leo Bodnar boards.

Where the Teensy has a large speed advantage over other Arduinos, the Mega2560 has a larger physical connector advantage. The choice of those 2 will give people the ability to make everything from small standalone flight controllers to full sized cockpits. Best of all, you can mix and match as needed for the controller size.

Mistakes, mistakes.

Here's what I have at the moment.

As soon as my Mega2560-CORE mini came in I realized my mistake - It takes a funky non-USB connector. At least it wasn't an expensive mistake. :oops:

That is what I have now, and what I've reordered.

Mega2560 R3 Pro Mini (funky)

USB Mega2560 R3 Pro Mini

While I wait for the USB version to arrive I tested the "funky" Mega2560 R3 Pro Mini.

Using the Arduino IDE (the software that actually puts the code on the Arduino board), every Mega2560 R3 code that I tried will run on BOTH the Mega2560 R3, and the (funky) Mega2560 R3 Mini.

Success? Not quite. When I tried the MobiFlight Connector software the new board wasn't recognized. That in it's self isn't unheard of. the MobiFlight software can be very picky about any variance in Mega2560 R3 boards.

So for now, we have a newer, smaller, Mega2560 R3 compatible board that only costs a little more than a "standard" Mega2560 R3. If the USB version works out, that would be great.

It may not be a problem at all, time will tell.
1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,

Registered

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 23 Aug 2017, 00:59

I just got home and found a small package waiting for me - A Mega2560 Pro Mini.

Before I even cooled down, I had the box opened and connected to the computer for a very quick test.

If you want to use an Arduino to easily connect to your flight sim there are 2 programs, at this time, that are important to you - The Arduino IDE, and/or MobiFlight. They're not perfect by any means, but you can get them to be useful for some things.

There is another, older, program that has been abandoned by it's creator - Link2FS. The latest update on that was in 2014, with most of the work from 2012 or earlier. There are people who do get good results from Link2FS, but I'd rather use a program that is still being improved.

ANYWAY, I've tested the new Mega2560 Pro Mini board with both the Arduino IDE AND MobiFlight and it was instantly recognized by the software. Everything tested out perfect. :D

Microcontroller ATmega2560 key points from epalsite.com
Atmega16U2 chip as the USB to Serial converter
Operating Voltage 5V
Input Voltage (recommended) 7-12V
Input Voltage (limits) 6-20V
Digital I/O Pins 54 (of which 15 provide PWM output)
Analog Input Pins 16
DC Current per I/O Pin 40 mA
DC Current for 3.3V Pin 50 mA
Flash Memory 256 KB of which 8 KB used by bootloader
SRAM 8 KB
EEPROM 4 KB
Clock Speed 16 MHz
1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,

Registered

baranismen
Flight Attendant

Post by baranismen » 11 Sep 2017, 15:52

Mobiflight is good, using it with P3D for a long time without any problem, but it needs to be upgraded for the usage with X-Plane as well, or ConneX will introduce a native Arduino support with an IDE, so that we cockpit builders will arrange everything from a single software!

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 16 Dec 2017, 17:39

Swan song.

Well, this Arduino post is getting up near 10,000 views. That seems to show more than a little interest in the Arduino.

Most of the SPAD.neXt support, however, is going toward the high end, high demand, aircraft and hardware.

My time for working with hardware is coming to a close due to cancer in multiple parts of my body.

For whatever time I have left, I'll just enjoy simple "flying" as it takes me away from my situation.

Luckily, between Prepar3d V4 and some great scenery, there is a whole world to see in the sim.

Thanks for the great software, it was fun to use.

Rich G.
1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,

Registered

jjvelar
Flight Attendant

Post by jjvelar » 17 Dec 2017, 13:35

Sad to hear.
Thanks for all.
Good luck,