Current SPAD.neXt Release: 0.9.12.123

This forum has closed. Please join our Discord Community.

SPAD.neXt online services are no longer available for SPAD.neXt Versions < 0.9.11.5

A button, switch, & knob box

Discussion about special hardware
OldAirmail
Donator

A button, switch, & knob box

Post by OldAirmail » 20 Nov 2016, 01:21

Thanks to a post by krono - Derek Speares DSD Button Controller, and with thanks to Ulrich for incorporating the controllers into SPAD.neXt, I've just placed an order with Derek Speare Designs.

What I've ordered was the DSD Flight Series - FLT1 with the red buttons for $99.75.

The red buttons should come close to the ones that I used on my Arduino based GPS, which is why I used them.

The FLT1 will handle all the radio/navigation inputs that I want with the five rotary encoders at the top, and a lot more. :D

Also, it looks far better than what I could've built myself.

It's seen by the computer as a USB game controller, so programming it is no more complicated than programming the buttons on a joystick.

The farther away I can get from the keyboard, the better.

Hopefully, I'll have it by the end of November. I'll write an update then.
1 Saitek Switch Panel, 1 Radio Panel, 1 Multi Panel, 1 BIP, 1 FIP,
1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,
1 Saitek Throttle, 1 Saitek TPM, 1 Desktop Aviator GPS, 1 CH Yoke

Registered

krono
First Officer

Re: A button, switch, & knob box

Post by krono » 26 Nov 2016, 01:35

Looking good
Keep us all posted

Ken

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 27 Nov 2016, 20:48

I seem to be running into some problem with DSD and their FLT1.

They say that they're sending me a new one. I'll have to leave it at that for the moment. If it all comes out fine I'll update my recommendation.

Meanwhile....

I have to say that it looks far better "in the flesh" so to speak. Even though they have the measurements on their site, I find this to be larger than expected. But it's the perfect size to set on a desk, or in a small panel. It gives you plenty of options in a small area.

I guessed right in ordering the red buttons for the GPS that I made - they match fairly well. :D

(The label cover on the GPS is only a rough first draft for label placement, not the finished label cover.)
1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,

Registered

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 28 Nov 2016, 04:58

Another update

The DSD button box didn't have to go back to the owner. The repairs were very minor. It would have taken longer to take it to the post office.

Naturally, there are mods that I'll want to do, but that can wait for later. There are still mods that I'm thinking about for the GPS.

For anyone thinking of getting one, I say go ahead. The box is well made. Has a great layout, with a good combination of buttons, switches, and rotary encoders. And I understand that they have almost no problems. Ever. This was a rarity.

BTW - this needs no special help from SPAD.neXt, it's seen as a simple game controller. That's not to say that you can't get more out of it with SPAD.neXt though. :D
1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,

Registered

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 07 Dec 2016, 03:45

For those following the DSD button box, here's the final labeling. At least for now. :D

EVERYTHING works as labeled. For the most part it's no more complicated than assigning commands to the buttons on a joystick. Although getting the three-way switch inside the Grumman Goose to lower, and raise, the wing tips couldn't have been done without SPAD.neXt.

Needless to say, this box is simply a set of encoders, switches, and buttons. You can use it for ANY type of flying that you want - Big Tubes to Bush planes.

Give that stupid keyboard a kick in the pants to show that you don't need it all that much!
1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,

Registered

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 07 Dec 2016, 03:49

One last thought

I'd though of different ways to mount it, but in the end I tilted it back and it just happens to be the perfect angle. :D

I'll have to make some kind of angle brackets to get it off the cable, but they may be detachable. As is, when I'm done using it I pull the cable and put it under my desk.

So it's simple to us, simple to put away.

1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,

Registered

BBQSteve
First Officer

Post by BBQSteve » 04 Aug 2017, 15:46

I've been following your projects. Really interesting. I bought the DSD Black Max II button box and really like it. Expensive, but well made and easy to set up. Mine has 5 encoders, 2 toggle switches and 19 push buttons. I have also purchased the Arduino Mega 2560 R3 which I hope to program as your GPS and perhaps another like FMC. I also got the 7" TFT LCD screen to go with it.

I need to reread your GPS posts again to understand how you got the GPS screen for yours and perhaps the FMC panel. Thanks for the interesting project and for sharing.

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 07 Aug 2017, 05:59

I'm glad that you found it interesting, and decided to make your own.

If you open up your DSD button box, you'll find several unused contacts. Buttons, encoders, or switches, your choice.

Good luck.
1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,

Registered