Current SPAD.neXt Release: 0.9.12.123

This forum has closed. Please join our Discord Community.

SPAD.neXt online services are no longer available for SPAD.neXt Versions < 0.9.11.5

Steam Clean ??

Discussions about new feature ideas.
To request a new feature please open a ticket
thedazman
Betatester

Steam Clean ??

Post by thedazman » 14 Aug 2015, 10:24

I've been thinking about installing the Steam Version of FSX. Is anyone running the Steam Version after having previously run the boxed edition.

Is there any benefit moving over to Steam edition ?

(I assume SPAD works happily with either)

Daz
"theDAZman" aka "theGFXguy"
https://fipgauges.com

thedazman
Betatester

Re: Steam Clean ??

Post by thedazman » 14 Aug 2015, 10:39

Actually Steam are doing it for £3.99 for one day only. Result...

Think i'll give it a try especially as it can co-exist with Boxed edition :-)

ab-tools
Betatester

Post by ab-tools » 14 Aug 2015, 10:44

Hello Daz,

there should be some performance gains with the FSX steam addition due to some DirectX improvements, but the question is why not moving to Prepar3d directly (which seems to be even a bigger improvement)?

As far as I saw most of the add-ons not working anymore in Prepar3d are not working anymore in FSX steam either...

I bougth the steam edition some time ago when it was on sale for just 5 EUR, but never installed it till now as I'm only using Prepar3d at the moment which works really good.

Best regards
Andreas

thedazman
Betatester

Post by thedazman » 14 Aug 2015, 10:58

P3D is not a consumer Product and Lockheed Martin never replied to my e-mails

ab-tools
Betatester

Post by ab-tools » 14 Aug 2015, 11:11

Why you wrote them an e-mail?
Just buy the education version. ;-)

Or get you the developer license for one month for only 9.95 USD if you want to test it first, but I bought it directly for 59.95 USD and had no problems at all.

That works really good - the only drawback is that several (but not all) of the old FSX add-ons do not work anymore or at least not fully (like VC not working or similar issues).

DirtyDog995
Flight Attendant

Post by DirtyDog995 » 16 Aug 2015, 20:29

@thedazman

I run all 3 simulators and while there are slight improvements in FSX-SE you will get the same OOM errors in FSX-SE as you would in FSX. FSX-SE is just a tool for DTG to market DLC's through and with the announcement of a new version of some unknown at this time flight sim version from DTG I doubt FSX-SE will be improved any further at this point.

For ORBX products and some others, if you have both FSX sims installed, you have to change your FSX-SE/FSX registry paths to fool the installers into thinking FSX-SE is really FSX. I wrote my own tool for that but there a few freely available on net.

All we can do with either version is tweak, tweak, tweak.....

ab-tools
Betatester

Post by ab-tools » 16 Aug 2015, 20:39

Hello DirtyDog995,

but how you think about the performance of Prepar3d if you have that installed as well?
I think it's a big step forward!

The only drawback - as I wrote above already - is that many older add-ons are not compatible, but currently I think that's the best option we have in terms of flight simulators (if you are not a X-Plane fan just like me)...

Best regards
Andreas

thedazman
Betatester

Post by thedazman » 16 Aug 2015, 23:13

Having got Steam edition running, I found my frame rate dropped !! and I was running 1/2 the add-ons I was in Boxed edition.

Still getting the black squares appearing and some of the add-on don't work. I didn't want to have to buy another copy of FSUIPC either so quickly reverted back to original install.

However it was worth the experiment. Steam edition requires recent drivers to drive the FIPS and this interferes with SPAD. Even more reason to stay with old version.

One can only hope that we will get a GPU powered Flight Sim to Rival FSX, it's been 10 years over due !

DAz

DirtyDog995
Flight Attendant

Post by DirtyDog995 » 17 Aug 2015, 02:49

I should mention that I run FSX/FSX-SE in DX10 mode using Steve's DXFixer which seems to make them both run better plus a lot of time tweaking the CFG file. In both I have Pilots FSXGU as well as all ORBX areas, FTX Vector & MyTraffic 6 and both run smooth at 50-60FPS with aircraft such as MJC8Q400 and RealAir DukeTv2. Of coarse without disabling the addons the PMDG birds still throw an OOM usually on approach :(

Sure P3Dv2x is better but still lacks compatibility with many of our favorite add-ons.

DirtyDog995
Flight Attendant

Post by DirtyDog995 » 17 Aug 2015, 02:55

I should mention that I run FSX/FSX-SE in DX10 mode using Steve's DXFixer which seems to make them both run better plus a lot of time tweaking the CFG file. In both I have Pilots FSXGU as well as all ORBX areas, FTX Vector & MyTraffic 6 and both run smooth at 50-60FPS with aircraft such as MJC8Q400 and RealAir DukeTv2. Of coarse without disabling the addons the PMDG birds still throw an OOM usually on approach :(

FSUIPC will run in both sims no need for another purchase.

Sure P3Dv2x is better but still lacks compatibility with many of our favorite add-ons.