Current SPAD.neXt Release: 0.9.12.123

This forum has closed. Please join our Discord Community.

SPAD.neXt online services are no longer available for SPAD.neXt Versions < 0.9.11.5

GPS Display on FIP's

Discussions about new feature ideas.
To request a new feature please open a ticket
Oz Flyer
Betatester

GPS Display on FIP's

Post by Oz Flyer » 24 Dec 2015, 13:00

Hi Ulrich,

Is there any way you could display the GPS map and flight data on one of the FIP's? so that it is not taking up space on your screen.?
David
OZ Flyer
Near YMMB
40+ year of Flight Siming.
Sim: subLOGIC/Microsoft Flight Sim's/DTG FSX, Microsoft Flight, DTG Filght School/FSW/Train Sim/TSW, ETS2 & ATS.
Hardware: Logitech, Saitek, Arduino 2560's & Leo's, BBI-32, PAC LED.

c0nnex
Site Admin

Re: GPS Display on FIP's

Post by c0nnex » 24 Dec 2015, 13:36

Flight Data: Just create your own gauge using the SPAD.neXt extensions for Gauges to present text on a FIP. http://www.fsgs.com/wiki/gauges:spad.next_extensions

GPS MAP: Generally possible, since you can load the gps map-gauge into the fip. But I doubt that SPAD.neXt is able to render everything used there yet. However I think there will 3rd party tools to offer this in future, as SPAD.neXt has an API that allows other tools to send images to the FIP(s).

thedazman
Betatester

Post by thedazman » 24 Dec 2015, 14:35

I'm hoping Andreas will get his flight control maps on Spads API soon.

Having a GPS emulator running on the FIP will be cool, I think it's just a matter of time. I'm sure there would be quite a few people willing to pay for this, me included.

Daz
"theDAZman" aka "theGFXguy"
https://fipgauges.com

nickyto
Passenger

Post by nickyto » 15 Jan 2016, 23:47

Is it ever possible anybody sell an usb touch screen (7") where I can load my Garmin GPS G500?

Inviato dal mio GT-I9505 utilizzando Tapatalk

lesoreilly
Captain

Post by lesoreilly » 23 Jan 2016, 18:55

nickyto wrote:Is it ever possible anybody sell an usb touch screen (7") where I can load my Garmin GPS G500?

http://www.amazon.com/MIMO-TOUCH2-7-inc ... merReviews

It's even reference in the first review about it's exact use as this type of device for FSX.

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 24 Jan 2016, 16:50

nickyto wrote:Is it ever possible anybody sell an usb touch screen (7") where I can load my Garmin GPS G500?

That's exactly what I did at first. In my case I used a 9 inch DoubleSight touch monitor and tied it into my Saitek radio panel using the original SPAD.

Later, I bought a DesktopAviator GPS, for about $190 (now $287), and made a standalone housing for it (it's meant to be installed in a panel). This is the cheapest, fully functional GPS that I know of, and well worth the money.

If you're interested in it, be careful - They also have just the switches mounted to the panel WITHOUT the monitor.

While that does give you a means of controlling your on-screen GPS for only $80, it just wouldn't look right, as far as I'm concerned.

Either way you go, you'll REALLY want to get some free software - Enhanced Garmin 500W GPS Unit (500WX).

Not only is this better than what comes with your flight sim, but it offers a full screen mode.

Why is that important? Because you can put the GPS in a separate monitor in full-screen mode with the GPS frame hidden.

This is something else that I used for a while before getting the DesktopAviator GPS. It's just a cheap add-on keypad.

All of the buttons that you need

1 Saitek Switch Panel, 1 Radio Panel, 1 Multi Panel, 1 BIP, 1 FIP,
1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,
1 Saitek Throttle, 1 Saitek TPM, 1 Desktop Aviator GPS, 1 CH Yoke

Registered

Oz Flyer
Betatester

Post by Oz Flyer » 24 Jan 2016, 22:25

OldAirmail,
Thanks for the info but at over AD$400 + shipping its just not an option.
David
OZ Flyer
Near YMMB
40+ year of Flight Siming.
Sim: subLOGIC/Microsoft Flight Sim's/DTG FSX, Microsoft Flight, DTG Filght School/FSW/Train Sim/TSW, ETS2 & ATS.
Hardware: Logitech, Saitek, Arduino 2560's & Leo's, BBI-32, PAC LED.

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 25 Jan 2016, 03:39

Well, that was the cheapest one that I could find.

That still leaves you with two options.

If you have the Saitek Radio panel and a touch screen you can do as I did in my short YouTube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVFRKou7R_U.

As an alternative, you might get a small non-touch monitor and use an add-on numeric keypad for controls (as in the pictures above).

This is NOT a recommendation, it's just two examples of alternative monitors that could be used as dedicated GPS screens. Not knowing what is available where you live, I'll use Amazon for simplicity.
7 inch USB car monitor
7 inch VGA car monitor

Either one would need a 12VDC plugin transformer, but you may already have one around.

One last thought, if you're even slightly handy with hand tools you could buy a dual rotary encoder switch & USB controller to make your own. They're VERY easy to use, and your flight sim will treat it like any other USB device.

1 Saitek Switch Panel, 1 Radio Panel, 1 Multi Panel, 1 BIP, 1 FIP,
1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,
1 Saitek Throttle, 1 Saitek TPM, 1 Desktop Aviator GPS, 1 CH Yoke

Registered

thedazman
Betatester

Post by thedazman » 25 Jan 2016, 17:23

I'd be happy if someone just added gps support to a fip, but I have thought about adding a usb monitor but I don't have any space to mount another screen even a small one so having it on a fip all be it probably to small would be a better option for me.

Daz

thedazman
Betatester

Post by thedazman » 25 Jan 2016, 17:24

I'd be happy if someone just added gps support to a fip, but I have thought about adding a usb monitor but I don't have any space to mount another screen even a small one so having it on a fip all be it probably to small would be a better option for me.

If I knew API I'd have a go at it myself, but sadly beyond my limited programming capabilites

Daz