Current SPAD.neXt Release: 0.9.12.123

This forum has closed. Please join our Discord Community.

SPAD.neXt online services are no longer available for SPAD.neXt Versions < 0.9.11.5

Device with bigger screen

Discussions about new feature ideas.
To request a new feature please open a ticket
ab-tools
Betatester

Device with bigger screen

Post by ab-tools » 29 May 2015, 21:38

Hello,

one thing I always missed in addition to the existent Saitek devices is a device with a bigger screen to show the navigation map.

I would have an idea on building such a device, but before continue with such an idea two questions:
1. are there more people that would be interested in a device with a larger screen (mountable on other Saitek devices) to show the navigation map (or whatever other information that needs more space)?
2. @c0nnex: would it be possible for you at all to get the map from FSX/Prepar3d as image/bitmap to be displayed on an external device (if API to this device is known, of cource)?

If there should exist a good device for that purpose already which I just missed till now, please let me know. ;)

Best regards
Andreas

thedazman
Betatester

Re: Device with bigger screen

Post by thedazman » 29 May 2015, 22:00

ab-tools wrote:Hello,

one thing I always missed in addition to the existent Saitek devices is a device with a bigger screen to show the navigation map.

I would have an idea on building such a device, but before continue with such an idea two questions:
1. are there more people that would be interested in a device with a larger screen (mountable on other Saitek devices) to show the navigation map (or whatever other information that needs more space)?
2. @c0nnex: would it be possible for you at all to get the map from FSX/Prepar3d as image/bitmap to be displayed on an external device (if API to this device is known, of cource)?

If there should exist a good device for that purpose already which I just missed till now, please let me know. ;)

Best regards
Andreas
Yeah, it's call an iPad :-)

I have my navigation running on a iPad, it was a better option than a small monitor. The FSX map is horrid, but useful if you want to re-position the plane, but there's plenty of app's that do that too. I'd like to see the GPS running in a FIP though :-)

c0nnex, any good at writing IOS apps ? :-)
"theDAZman" aka "theGFXguy"
https://fipgauges.com

c0nnex
Site Admin

Post by c0nnex » 29 May 2015, 22:02

ab-tools wrote: 1. are there more people that would be interested in a device with a larger screen (mountable on other Saitek devices) to show the navigation map (or whatever other information that needs more space)?
I currently use a 10.4" Touchscreen to show the GPS Map. (poorly done by moving a floating gps-windows to that monitor). I know of others that attached a real GPS-mapper to FSX.
ab-tools wrote: 2. @c0nnex: would it be possible for you at all to get the map from FSX/Prepar3d as image/bitmap to be displayed on an external device (if API to this device is known, of cource)?
Well nothing else the FIP of Saitek is doing. The "driver" (SaiFlightSimX.exe) creates a Gauge-Bitmap in-Memory and transfers it to the FIP to display. The FIP is technically nothing else than an (utterly expensive) pictureframe with buttons.
( Am currently evaluating some normal pictureframes, if I can feed them with pictures via SPAD.neXt :P )
Basically SPAD.neXt can support any USB or NetworkAttached-Device, no matter what kind of. Easy if the specs of the device are known, some try-and-error etc. when not. (like for all saitek devices)

What do you mean by map exactly?

Assuming you mean the GPS-map:

For getting a map to the device, the first problem is to get that map.
Basically there are three options:
a) Screen-Copy the FSX GPS-Window and push it out. Slow and Ugly ( if you want something like this: https://fsxtimes.wordpress.com/2015/05/ ... o-the-fip/ )
b) implement the gps map calc yourself. Doable but huge load of work. You can just unpack the g1000.cab from FSX\Gauges (7zip) and look at the xml-definitions etc. I am analyzing this, but as it looks like it will be easier to do something on my own, than trying to support all that special stuff they use.
c) Implement something completely on you own. That's the way I will follow most likely. Starting with just grabbing the images from google earth, analyse airac datas, and shown plan position and flight-route.
Long way to go though....

-Ulrich

ab-tools
Betatester

Post by ab-tools » 31 May 2015, 20:40

Hello Ulrich,

yes, I meant the GPS map - and I guessed already that it won't be very easy to get that (therefore I asked if it would be possible at all). But as you write it's possible, just quite a lot of work.

Using "normal" pictureframes as display devices is a great idea as they are really cheap to get. Let us know when you had some success with a specific device. ;)

Best regards
Andreas

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 26 Jul 2015, 21:17

There are more possibilities than you may think.

iPads will certainly work if money isn't a concern.

A much better bet would be to get one of the cheaper android tablets and run an android program, such as FsMovMap, on it.

Also cheaper than an iPad would be one of those USB monitors. You should be able to find a small one for around $100, less if used. Mine are going on 3 years, so used might be a good bet if you're cash strapped.

Here's something that I did years ago with a 9 inch touchscreen USB monitor.

This is the post that I made back then - Getting more out of your Saitek Radio Panel

Using SPAD.neXt will be a bit different, of course.

I've been using the DesktopAviator GPS panel ($285) for a couple of years now. It makes a world of difference!

Their GPS is ment to be used in a sim-pit panel, but I built a housing for it so I could use it on my desktop.

Use this free program to replace the default FSX/P3d GPS screen.

Enhanced Garmin 500W GPS Unit (500WX) from Kronzky's Flight Simulator Add-ons.

I'm sorry that I went on and on, but I'll just say that there are even more options to get a moving map on a separate monitor.
1 Saitek Switch Panel, 1 Radio Panel, 1 Multi Panel, 1 BIP, 1 FIP,
1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,
1 Saitek Throttle, 1 Saitek TPM, 1 Desktop Aviator GPS, 1 CH Yoke

Registered

ab-tools
Betatester

Post by ab-tools » 27 Jul 2015, 16:01

Hello OldAirmail,

first thanks for your detailed post!

In the meantime I'm indeed thinking of getting a complete G1000 simulator panel. Unfortunately these are all quite expensive (up to 5,000 EUR). This is one which is at least a bit "cheaper", but with 1,850 USD still a lot of money:
http://www.customsims.com/g1000-module

But I'm afraid building something like this with all these buttons and rotaty encoders on my own would be so much work and probably end up with a "no so good" looking device at the end that I guess buying a ready unit like the one above makes more sense.

Somebody has other ideas about good and more or less effordable G1000 simulator devices?
I would be also OK with a building kit for such a device where I need to do the assembling by myself.

By the way, I'm curious what did you use as back cover for your GPS panel unit?
This material really looks interesting. ;-)

Best regards
Andreas

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 28 Jul 2015, 02:07

I'm not going to argue that one of those full scale, very realistic, panels aren't worth it.

Once I received my DesktopAviator I found that having REAL buttons and dials to push & turn, made all the difference in the world towards my understanding of how to operate an aircraft GPS.

If I had to use a mouse to set it, I'd never bother doing it.

But I would suggest an option, before you decide that you can't afford a G1000.

The two 9" monitors below give me a functional G1000 setup.

The one on the left is a standard 9" USB monitor. The one on the right is also a touchscreen monitor.

The "software" is simple FSX pop-up windows.

The two small monitors can also be used to show traditional instruments with payware programs.

1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,

Registered

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 28 Jul 2015, 02:25

"By the way, I'm curious what did you use as back cover for your GPS panel unit?
This material really looks interesting"

That housing was made in the simplest way, and with the simplest of tools.

You can read more here - The poor mans sim pit

But in a few shots

This is thin stamped aluminum that was already painted black.

Plastic finishing caps.

Image . . Image
1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,

Registered

ab-tools
Betatester

Post by ab-tools » 28 Jul 2015, 12:34

Hello OldAirmail,

thanks for your post again!

I also read through your posts on the linked forum thread:
really interesting what you build there. :-)

But the default FSX G1000 implementation seems not to be very good and detailed. Here I would really consider the G1000 implementation from Mindstar Aviation.

I currently negotiating with the guy from CustomSims a bit:
beside the pre-build unit for 1,850 USD he also offers a build kit for 1,300 USD. Still a lot of money, but goes into the right direction pricewise. ;-) And as building something yourself if part of the fun, I would not have problems investing some time in building the whole thing together myself - especially if it additionally saves 550 USD.

Furthermore he also offers a version with touchscreens which is also interesting (although not needed for a G1000) as the devices could be used a bit more flexible this way.

Although your solution with these two monitors is nice already, I really would like to have some real knobs and buttons around: just as you wrote already this makes all the difference and is much more fun using it.

Let's see, I'm still negotiating with the guy from CustomSims... ;-)

Best regards
Andreas

thedazman
Betatester

Post by thedazman » 28 Jul 2015, 14:23

I'm interested in building my own button controlled g500 panel but I can't find any 9" USB monitors, well nothing on eBay. I have to be careful because I'm running a three screen eyefinity setup and I need a forth usb monitor to run separately of the three screen merge.

But not had much joy looking for something suitable

Daz
"theDAZman" aka "theGFXguy"
https://fipgauges.com