Current SPAD.neXt Release: 0.9.12.123

This forum has closed. Please join our Discord Community.

SPAD.neXt online services are no longer available for SPAD.neXt Versions < 0.9.11.5

Device with bigger screen

Discussions about new feature ideas.
To request a new feature please open a ticket
c0nnex
Site Admin

Re: Device with bigger screen

Post by c0nnex » 28 Jul 2015, 15:57

I'm using this ( http://www.ebay.de/itm/SKYPORT-26-42cm- ... OC:DE:3160 ) one in a similar config.
3x32" TV Eyefinity
Works great.

thedazman
Betatester

Post by thedazman » 28 Jul 2015, 16:51

3x32 :-) nice. Mine are only 24 : 25 : 24 (I overlap the edges of the monitors to reduce the frame by 50%) which is why I need the middle monitor one inch bigger.

As Eyefinity runs multiple screen as one, I didn't know how it would handle a fourth monitor being introduced as the second screen. I didn't want to risk a £100 test.

I do have 3 spare display ports on my graphic cards, so it does't have to be USB.

One problem I'm having is getting FSX to load the ATC and G500 in the same location each time I load it. I didn't want to mess about opening the GPS and dragging it to the second monitor each time. I wish there was an easy way to set the window layouts. Having Eyefinity also means it stretches the ATC and GPS windows and I'm finding myself re-sizing them each load also. Really annoying. If I can't fix that I think setting up the GPS on the 2nd monitor might be a non starter.

Do you have the screen mounted in a button panel or do you use the touch screen to operate?

Daz
"theDAZman" aka "theGFXguy"
https://fipgauges.com

thedazman
Betatester

Post by thedazman » 28 Jul 2015, 17:03

does the USB on these monitor do the Video feed or just the touch screen function?

I have only display ports spare, I'm having to use "Active" display port to HDMI adaptor currently due to Windows not supporting more than two Analogue video inputs.

Daz

c0nnex
Site Admin

Post by c0nnex » 28 Jul 2015, 18:31

You cannot use the spare display ports. If you do that the eyefinity will break. At least it was for me. I had to go for System VGA-Port + USB ( for the touch ).
Currently the screen is just display, since it has been used for racing, but for the soon to be built flight cockpit it will get a surrounding with buttons :-D That is not that hard with a Bodnar controller. Just "good" Buttons are quite expensive.

thedazman
Betatester

Post by thedazman » 28 Jul 2015, 19:31

I got two bodnar custom panels really good bit of kit.

I can't use system VGA mainly because mine doesn't have one!!!

My graphics card has 4 x display port and 2 x DVI. Currently I have two display port interfaces connected to two HDMI port via a passive converter cable and a third display port to DVI "active" converter meaning I have two legacy monitors and one active to get around the legacy analogue two monitor limit.

Now surely I could add another "active" adaptor and not include that in the eyefinity setup and leave it to windows as a second monitor ?

Daz

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 29 Jul 2015, 07:53

Unfortunately, I read these posts just before going to bed, so this'll have to be short.

Ab-tools, if you can go for the G1000 kit, go for it. Physically turning concentric dials, and pushing real buttons is so much better than clicking on-screen imagines that I could hardly describe it.

For more monitors there are 2 useable solutions.

Again, I'm limited on time at 1:30 AM.

Use USB monitors.

Use standard monitors with - Plugable USB 3.0 to VGA / DVI / HDMI Video Graphics Adapter for Multiple Monitors

Both are covered in - Who wants another monitor!

There is, however, another very interesting way that may cost you nothing at all if you have an older Eyefinity card.

Read this - Extra monitors . . . AGAIN

Short version - If you have two video card slot (and you probably do unless you have a very old computer), and a slightly older video card similar to what you're using now, then you can add extra monitors.

And if the older card is used to display instruments, rather than the main flight sim screens, you probably won't see any loss of FPS. I didn't anyway.

This is what I was running with 2 video cards on FSX, and I still had unused video ports available.

PS - in real life the 3 main monitors don't look that bad. It's caused be bad angles and a cheap camera.
1 Saitek Switch Panel, 1 Radio Panel, 1 Multi Panel, 1 BIP, 1 FIP,
1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,
1 Saitek Throttle, 1 Saitek TPM, 1 Desktop Aviator GPS, 1 CH Yoke

Registered

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 30 Jul 2015, 02:55

Ab-tools, my postings have gone far from your original question about a moving map, but by now I'm sure that you realize that there're number of ways to have an extra screen or 2.

So unless I misunderstand you about the moving maps part, let me suggest a couple of free programs.

The first one, and the one that I've used for years is Plan-G by Tasoftware.

This program does far more than I need, but is so simple that you can start using it in minutes.

Although the programmer asks for donations, that request is only on his web site. This is not one of those nag-ware programs.

I can highly recommend it.

Another free program is BSSMM - The Moving Map by BlueSkyScenery.

Looking at their online manual I have to say that it looks like something that a prospective pilot would love at first sight.

Another thing about BlueSkyScenery is that they have an incredible amount of high resolution photo scenery. And the price is right - FREE. :D

There are many other commercial programs out there, but try these 2 first.
1 Saitek Switch Panel, 1 Radio Panel, 1 Multi Panel, 1 BIP, 1 FIP,
1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,
1 Saitek Throttle, 1 Saitek TPM, 1 Desktop Aviator GPS, 1 CH Yoke

Registered