Current SPAD.neXt Release: 0.9.12.123

This forum has closed. Please join our Discord Community.

SPAD.neXt online services are no longer available for SPAD.neXt Versions < 0.9.11.5

MIDI control surface as input device?

General Discussions
Irhander
Passenger

MIDI control surface as input device?

Post by Irhander » 08 Dec 2020, 22:56

There is a number of interesting MIDI control surfaces (=controllers with knobs, buttons and sliders) which can be attached to the PC via USB, MIDI-2-USB cable or even wirelessly via Bluetooth. These controllers are usually programmable to send any MIDI signal to any software capable of processing those. There might be even some MIDI-2-key driver available to map those MIDI commands onto virtual keys.

Has anyone experience in doing this in combination with Spad-neXt?

Is there a native way to use such MIDI control surfaces with Spad.neXt?

thedazman
Betatester

Re: MIDI control surface as input device?

Post by thedazman » 09 Dec 2020, 00:41

Interesting Idea. While I can send keyboard keys to midi controllers, I’m not aware of any way to reverse that. I have over 20 midi devices but until now never thought of using those on a sim. I stopped at asking for streamdeck support :-)

I could play dam busters and it could autopilot my plane lol ! Or record a controller sequence in Cubase and play out to the SIM ha ha.

But there are some good midi controllers out there which could be useful in a sim agreed. I’ve been writing midi music for 35 years and I still don’t fully understand all the midi controllers and system exclusive messaging but I’m not sure many simmers will have midi devices to hand, but you never know.

I watch this post with as much interest

Daz
"theDAZman" aka "theGFXguy"
https://fipgauges.com

c0nnex
Site Admin

Post by c0nnex » 09 Dec 2020, 18:03

There is a tool available to convert a midi device into a virtual joystick, which then is supported by SPAD.neXt

I'm currently evaluating the effort needed for adding direct support for midi devices to SPAD.neXt.
Please open a ticket (from inside SPAD.neXt), then i'll sned you a little test tool to check if my idea works. (I have no mide device available right now)

thedazman
Betatester

Post by thedazman » 09 Dec 2020, 18:23

Irhander as this is your idea do you want to take the
Lead on raising the ticket, while I have 20 midi devices they are all tied into my music studio which isn’t part of my SIM setup. I do have one portable controller I could use for testing.

Daz
"theDAZman" aka "theGFXguy"
https://fipgauges.com

Irhander
Passenger

Post by Irhander » 09 Dec 2020, 21:28

Done. :-)
I should get my KORG nanoKontrol Studio any day now... an early Xmas gift... so I do not get bored during lockdown... ;-)