Current SPAD.neXt Release: 0.9.12.123

This forum has closed. Please join our Discord Community.

SPAD.neXt online services are no longer available for SPAD.neXt Versions < 0.9.11.5

Elevator Pitch Trim

GilYoder
Passenger

Elevator Pitch Trim

Post by GilYoder » 15 Oct 2021, 01:04

Is there a way to configure the Logitech multipanel pitch trim wheel so that it works more like the pitch trim switch on the Logitech flight yoke system as programmed in MSFS Control Options?

In MSFS, I have the flight yoke pitch trim buttons (B1 and B2] issue trim down and trim up commands, respectively.

As you would expect, if AP is disabled, pressing either of these switches causes [SIMCONNECT:ELEVATOR TRIM PCT] to go up or down by one or more units; the longer the button is held, the more significant the change.

For the multipanel pitch trim control, I have a simple configuration. IO have the Nose DOWN evet configured to decrement [SIMCONNECT:ELEVATOR TRIM PCT] by one, and I have the Nose UP event configured to increment the same variable by 1.

I configured the VS field to show [SIMCONNECT:ELEVATOR TRIM PCT] value when the auto throttle switch is in the armed position to keep track of the trim percentage.

Now, when my C172 is on the ground, the pitch trim wheel works as you would expect; turning the wheel results in the trim percentage increasing or decreasing steadily to a preset maximum value. But in flight, it does not work that way.

Instead, turning in the up direction changes the value only if backward pressure is held on the yoke. Turning in the down direction moves the percentage of trim more easily. This differs from the trim switch on the yoke in that it will move the trim up or down regardless of yoke pressure.

I suppose that this behavior is how MSFS mimics the trim wheel's resistance to change while flying (if that's a thing), but that makes the pitch trim while in the multipanel unlike the trim wheel in the cockpit in one crucial way: if the cockpit trim wheel is turned, the trim percentage changes.

I want to program the multipanel trim wheel so that a wheel deflection always changes the trim percentage, more like the yoke trim switch, but with more control.

Is that possible? I hope someone can figure this one out.