Current SPAD.neXt Release: 0.9.12.123

This forum has closed. Please join our Discord Community.

SPAD.neXt online services are no longer available for SPAD.neXt Versions < 0.9.11.5

Need help from real pilots

Discussion about special hardware
OldAirmail
Donator

Need help from real pilots

Post by OldAirmail » 04 Dec 2016, 03:30

I'm bought a button box and I've set it up for my flight sim. Everything that you see here works, and it's intended, mainly, for navigation.

But the question is - is the top row of knobs correct? Terminology correct?

The top left three corresponds to this Cessna 172 from FSX

Setup

The bottom row of red buttons are commands that appeal to me, and reflect most of the planes that I fly.

People who like helicopters, fighters, or airliners would, of course, choose something different.

Starter 1 - 2 & Starter 2 - 3 after I turn on the Battery, Alternator, and Fuel Pump with my Saitek Switch Panel, these buttons start up each engine.
The way it works is that a short press on 1 or 3 will start that engine. A long press on 2 or 4 will start those engines. So each button starts a different engine depending on how it's pushed.

Refuel is a simple in-game command.

Water Rudder lowers or raises the rudders on amphibious aircraft.

Wing Tips - Up/Down can be used by aircraft like the Grumman Goose or a Corsair.

Tail Lock - Hook, the DC-3 needs a tail wheel lock command, and planes like the EA-6B Prowler need a hook command, and the folding wing command above, for that matter. :D

Parking Brake can't live without that.

Middle row switches - Radio

I have the Saitek Radio Panel, and that's great for setting things like Com1, Com2, Nav1, Nav2 etc, but I really wanted the full row of radio switches.

Top row of rotary encoder knobs

I've set them up, and they do work as intended. But I haven't made the labels yet. That's why I'm asking for help. The most I ever did in GA airplanes was to taxi them to their tiedown spot and clean them up a bit. And that's been almost 50 years ago. :oops:

At any rate, let me know if I've gotten something wrong, or if I should replace any of the encoder commands with something more important.

1 Saitek Switch Panel, 1 Radio Panel, 1 Multi Panel, 1 BIP, 1 FIP,
1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,
1 Saitek Throttle, 1 Saitek TPM, 1 Desktop Aviator GPS, 1 CH Yoke

Registered

OldAirmail
Donator

Re: Need help from real pilots

Post by OldAirmail » 07 Dec 2016, 03:47

Just to end this post, this shows the final labeling.

1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,

Registered

AeroRamer
First Officer

Post by AeroRamer » 29 Dec 2016, 17:15

Top row of rotary encoder knobs

I've set them up, and they do work as intended. But I haven't made the labels yet. That's why I'm asking for help. The most I ever did in GA airplanes was to taxi them to their tiedown spot and clean them up a bit. And that's been almost 50 years ago. :oops:

At any rate, let me know if I've gotten something wrong, or if I should replace any of the encoder commands with something more important.

I am a low time Cessna 172 pilot some take my comment for what is worth to you. :/

The commands look appropriate to me if the Cessna. The only one I have never seen in real life, at least with the C-172's aircraft I have rented is the Rudder trim. If you fly othger types with that function I say it is good to go. Other functions that is goo to have are:
-Fuel Shutoff
-Fuel Selector
-Alt Static Air

If you have a non-fuel injected aircraft like a Cub or Piper Archer, a Primer knob is desireable.

BTW, that is a nice switch panel. Where did you get it? For the radio functions I use the Saitek Radio Panel. For some of the third row buttons I use the switches from the Saitek Switch Panel.

Have a great sim day.

Oz Flyer
Betatester

Post by Oz Flyer » 30 Dec 2016, 00:06

The link and more info is in this post:

http://www.spadnext.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8433
David
OZ Flyer
Near YMMB
40+ year of Flight Siming.
Sim: subLOGIC/Microsoft Flight Sim's/DTG FSX, Microsoft Flight, DTG Filght School/FSW/Train Sim/TSW, ETS2 & ATS.
Hardware: Logitech, Saitek, Arduino 2560's & Leo's, BBI-32, PAC LED.

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 30 Dec 2016, 05:36

Thanks David for helping with the link insert. All too often when we join a new website it takes a long time to find all the things that interest us.

AeroRamer, welcome.

One reason that I could never build a realistic simulator is that I like to fly lots of older aircraft. Mostly light airplanes, but I'm often "flying" a DC3/C47 too.

I often "fly" old birds like this one;

Up to the newer four engine passenger airliners like this one;

One thing that I like a lot is flipping switched, and turning dials. So anything that I use, has to be somewhat generic.

Like you I have some of the Saitek panels. Plus a couple of monitors dedicated just to instrument display.

As to the button box. Although I really like the FLT1 a lot, you can check out BBJ SimRacing for a wider selection at a lower price.

A sample video here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fim8IsMYLAY
1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,

Registered

Oz Flyer
Betatester

Post by Oz Flyer » 30 Dec 2016, 08:14

Old airmail,
That looks like it could be a home made BIP in the photo if so what did you use for the display panel its self.

I have started to make one may self so I have only cut a test hold in some scrap today.
P1000369.JPG
P1000365.JPG
Photo of it turned on is to bright to see the wording.
But printing on paper the black is not black enough.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David
OZ Flyer
Near YMMB
Sim: subLOGIC/Microsoft Flight Sim's/DTG FSX, Microsoft Flight, DTG Filght School/FSW/Train Sim/TSW, ETS2 & ATS.

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 31 Dec 2016, 01:40

That is a Saitek BIP that I mounted on top of a CH Products yoke after two of the levers broke in a fall. The hump was cut off and the BIP frame attached.

The BIP used to be off to the the side where I never noticed the lights coming on. This is a MUCH better location.

Below, the three text displays on the right were made from laser printer compatible "overhead transparency" material. They may still make one version for laser, and one for inkjet, printers. I had a professor give me a few sheets.

I printed it out on plain paper until I had it the way that I wanted it. Then I printed it on the overhead transparency.

Each tile was cut and taped in place with black electrical tape which you can see in this picture.
(There is a secret tip to prevent the LED from shining through the clear material - use toilet paper. Don't tell anyone though.)

This picture has the "smoked" plastic cover back on.

Normally, you can't see the text until the light is on because of the dark cover.

If I were to make something different, one of those "smoked" office, wall mounted, paper holders would be great material to use for the smoked cover.

If Ulrich is able to use an Arduino to read the aircraft states and light up LEDs, I'd like to set up something like this one, used in the older aircraft, for an OMI display.
1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,

Registered

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 31 Dec 2016, 02:05

You've just given me an interesting idea.

Instead of cutting out holes in wood, why not;
1) find an appropriately sized ice cube tray,
2) paint the insides to prevent light bleeding into the next compartment,
3) glue the LEDs in the bottom,
4) place the labels on top,
5) put a "smoked" plastic cover over that.

1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,

Registered

Oz Flyer
Betatester

Post by Oz Flyer » 31 Dec 2016, 10:51

Wheres the 3d printer when you need it. Making the frame for the LED's would be so much easier even if you had to make it in 3 parts.
David
OZ Flyer
Near YMMB