Current SPAD.neXt Release: 0.9.12.123

This forum has closed. Please join our Discord Community.

SPAD.neXt online services are no longer available for SPAD.neXt Versions < 0.9.11.5

Arduino controler

Discussion about special hardware
c0nnex
Site Admin

Re: Arduino controler

Post by c0nnex » 18 Oct 2016, 22:21

Have been briefly looking into the Teeny SDk.. looks simple.
I'll order some testboards and give it a try.

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 19 Oct 2016, 05:57

Thank you, whatever happens. But good luck. :D
1 Saitek Switch Panel, 1 Radio Panel, 1 Multi Panel, 1 BIP, 1 FIP,
1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,
1 Saitek Throttle, 1 Saitek TPM, 1 Desktop Aviator GPS, 1 CH Yoke

Registered

TMorel
Flight Attendant

Post by TMorel » 24 Oct 2016, 11:57

Have just got my Leo Bodnar board running with three Hall effect sensors (got a silly idea about a Q400 style quadrant). Not tried the Teensy boards, but I use Arduino's all over the place. May have to get some teensy test boards myself to have a play with while I wait for my 3D printer to finish these nylon test prints.

I've booked the end of November and start of December off work to tinker with my flight sim so I might drop you a support ticket if there's any tools available or help with testing or that payware add-on comes out.
Saitek add-ons: Cessna Yoke & Rudder, 2 Throttle Quadrants, 1 TPM, 1 Multi Panel, 1 Switch Panel, 2 Radio Panel, 1 BIP, 9 FIP's
DIY add-ons: Parking Brake. Work-In-Progress: Throttle Quadrant

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 27 Oct 2016, 06:17

Unfortunately I've been having one problem after another, and sometimes two or three at a time, for the past two weeks.

With a bit of luck things will get better in the next few days.

A long way of saying I've been busy.

Briefly some Arduinos, such as the Teensy 3.2 & the Pro Micro are recognized as HID devices by both the major flight sims, and more importantly, SPAD.neXt.

I'm using Prepar3d, but as you can see SPAD.neXt has no problem with this Pro Micro Arduino.

Getting enough buttons and LEDs with an Arduino is no problem. There are a number of chips that will give you a great number of connections for very little money.

On is the MCP23017 - i2c 16 input/output port expander for $6.50. Less on eBay. This'll take up two lines from the Arduino and, with several chained together, give you up to 128 extra ports for buttons or LEDs.

If interested read this - Tutorial: Maximising your Arduino’s I/O ports with MCP23017.

There are more options, but I need to go to work in the morning.

Good luck for now.
1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,

Registered

Fateh
Passenger

Post by Fateh » 28 Nov 2016, 20:05

Great subject OldAirmail..
It meets what I'm looking for.
You are right, It's challenge for SPAD to interface with Arduino in the same way of Link2fs.
Long time I was relaying on Link2fs and found it works well with me for many projects (Especially expert version).
I'm moving now to SPAD because I found Link2fs doesn't interface with Dash8 Q400 properly.
Due to this switching, I find myself forced to start using Teensy with Arduino as you mentioned.
I will be very close to your project to exchange our knowledge. I used Arduino for more than one year and may help if possible.

Regards,

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 29 Nov 2016, 03:28

Welcome, Fateh.

The Teensy 3.X series is particularly great if you need more programming space and much greater speed over most of the other Arduino controllers. I think that the Teensy 3.X would probably work out great for a full cockpit setup where you would want to extend the number of inputs/outputs using the least number of controllers.

But I'm finding that the Arduino Micro & Pro Micro are just as useful in smaller setups where the extra speed doesn't matter. Not to mention that you can buy the Pro Micros for less than $3.

If you haven't read it already, read how I used a Pro Micro to build a 7 inch (17.8 cm) GPS - Arduino controller - Building a GPS.

The software is already out there, so you don't need to write the program. The rest is just a few buttons attached to a cheap Arduino controller board, and a barebones VGA monitor.

I'm new to Arduinos, but I'm finding that, partly because of the low cost, and partly due to the simplicity of programming them as USB/HID game controllers, that they're super simple to use in building your own flight sim equipment. Or even to restore your favorite joystick when it stops working.

And once programmed as a game/joystick/keyboard SPAD.neXt sees it as that, giving you more power to do what you want.

I've looked at Link2fs and MobiFlight. But both of them are essentially abandoned software. I'm reluctant to invest more time and study into either of them.

What they do that SPAD.neXt can't, is to allow you get data from the flight sim and send it through an Arduino, then on to 7 segment displays, or other LEDs.

And as you know, one Arduino board can work with buttons, potentiometers, encoders, and LEDs.

If Ulrich can do what Link2fs and MobiFlight try to do, then SPAD.neXt will beat all other flight sim software solutions out there.

But, as I said, SPAD.neXt can already work with the HID Arduinos. Just not the LEDs.
1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,

Registered

Fateh
Passenger

Post by Fateh » 13 Dec 2016, 21:52

What they do that SPAD.neXt can't, is to allow you get data from the flight sim and send it through an Arduino, then on to 7 segment displays, or other LEDs.
Hi OldAirmail,
I saw your post but didn't have the time to respond.
I agree with most what you said except the evaluation of getting info from flight sim. simply, we can say they are required for leds BUT they are required for a lot of things such as:
- LCD's, Leds and 7-segments displays.
- Confirming and matching the buttons position, potentiometers with sim.
- Getting feedback during autopilot to move yoke, trims and throttles accordingly.
- required for advance use when need to rotate the cabins according to plane orientation.

for the previous reasons, I hope one day we can get SPAD satisfies our targets.

at time being, I'm building sample Dash8 Q400 cabins and use Arduino Leonardo and others to accomplish all tasks and found SPAD works great with it but still need Link2f for data feedback.

Regards,

Oz Flyer
Betatester

Post by Oz Flyer » 13 Dec 2016, 22:18

OldAirmail,
Do you know of any smaller LCD screens say 4 or 5"?
David
OZ Flyer
Near YMMB
40+ year of Flight Siming.
Sim: subLOGIC/Microsoft Flight Sim's/DTG FSX, Microsoft Flight, DTG Filght School/FSW/Train Sim/TSW, ETS2 & ATS.
Hardware: Logitech, Saitek, Arduino 2560's & Leo's, BBI-32, PAC LED.

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 14 Dec 2016, 05:31

Fateh wrote:....

at time being, I'm building sample Dash8 Q400 cabins and use Arduino Leonardo and others to accomplish all tasks and found SPAD works great with it but still need Link2f for data feedback.

Regards,
Different ways of doing things, I suspect.

Because Arduinos are so cheap and easy to program, I've thought of using small HUBs inside of a box. One Arduino could work your common buttons, switches, and encoders, while another Arduino could operate LEDs & 7 segment readouts. Small and cheap - a great combination. :D

There is an exception to using an Arduino for a button and LED. You could easily have an Arduino light an indicator LED when a switch is thrown without needing to get data from the flight sim.

Say that you want a red LED to light up when you apply the parking brake. Have the Arduino light an LED when that pin changes state (the switch is flipped). Essentially, the LED is indicating that you pushed the switch marked Parking Brake. That could also work for LEDs that are built into the switch, if you can isolate the LED part of the switch.

That won't solve more complex displays, but I'd suspect that there are many situations where you'd like an indicator light to come on for switches.

For the other things, such as displaying altitude or air speed, you'd need LINK2FS.

Ulrich may get around to Arduinos, but it won't be anytime soon. He's busy enough with FSX/P3d and X-Plane for the moment.

Good luck with your build.
1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,

Registered

OldAirmail
Donator

Post by OldAirmail » 18 Dec 2016, 00:06

Oz Flyer wrote:OldAirmail,
Do you know of any smaller LCD screens say 4 or 5"?
Sorry, David. I answered one question and than got side tracked.

I'm used to using Amazon, so I went to amazon.com.au. Not much use there.

Check out the US Amazon site to get an idea for what to look for - Arduino Raspberry Pi LCD monitors

Another search to do, locally, would be one like this one - automotive LCD monitors

Something like this may be a good choice for you - 5’’ Inch TFT LCD Car Color Rear View Monitor Screen $24USD

Where you'll look, I don't know, but the above links should give you a clue as to what to look for.
1 Saitek Rudder Pedal,

Registered