Current SPAD.neXt Release: 0.9.12.123

This forum has closed. Please join our Discord Community.

SPAD.neXt online services are no longer available for SPAD.neXt Versions < 0.9.11.5

Tom Tsui FIP's

Discussion about special hardware
RickSinGA
Flight Attendant

Tom Tsui FIP's

Post by RickSinGA » 30 Jul 2020, 22:33

I have been out of the Sim arena for several years and came back several months ago. I am currently using XP-11.50 p16 with 23 Siatek devices including 12 FIP's. I am currently using Tom Tsui's FIP overlays and I seem to remember a conflict with Spad.Next and Tom's overlays from my FSX days. Would really like to get my radios, multi, switch and annunciator panels to work correctly again and I really want Tom's gauges to work also.

Can anyone give me information about this potential problem.

Thanks
Rick S.

zkiwi
Captain

Re: Tom Tsui FIP's

Post by zkiwi » 31 Jul 2020, 10:11

I'm running some of Tom's gauges in some of my profiles and they are all working fine. I run them through SpadNext and have never had any issue with them (apart from a slowish refresh rate compared to the FIPGauges ones i run.

RickSinGA
Flight Attendant

Post by RickSinGA » 31 Jul 2020, 12:29

Thanks for the replay zkiwi.

Are you also using his gauge switcher utility and if so does it work okay?

Not sure what you mean by "slowish refresh rate"? I am using his 172 and b58 bundles and have never noticed a frame rate problem. Could you please explain?

Thanks
Rick S.

zkiwi
Captain

Post by zkiwi » 01 Aug 2020, 09:38

No, not using the switcher as it is designed for the Saitek/Logitech driver and not for SpadNext.

The update rate on some gauges like the attitude indicator and the altimeter are not smooth in operation and increase or decrease in steps rather than smoothly moving. For example the altimeter seems to jump in 20 foot intervals rather than smoothly climbing and descending up and down the scale. For the AI i think it is because the gauge is reading degrees for change values and radians should provide a smoother gyro effect when pitching and banking.

RickSinGA
Flight Attendant

Post by RickSinGA » 01 Aug 2020, 14:28

Wow, that certainly would be a problem.

I wonder if the reason his gauges work so smoothly for me is related to using the Saitek drivers vs Spad.Next? Maybe switching drivers is what triggered my memory into remembering a conflict of some sort?

I guess I will have to stay with what I have if the Spad drivers interfere with the smoothness of my gauges.

Thanks for your help.

c0nnex
Site Admin

Post by c0nnex » 01 Aug 2020, 18:01

zkiwi wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 09:38
No, not using the switcher as it is designed for the Saitek/Logitech driver and not for SpadNext.

The update rate on some gauges like the attitude indicator and the altimeter are not smooth in operation and increase or decrease in steps rather than smoothly moving. For example the altimeter seems to jump in 20 foot intervals rather than smoothly climbing and descending up and down the scale. For the AI i think it is because the gauge is reading degrees for change values and radians should provide a smoother gyro effect when pitching and banking.
Pleaase check if the smoothness problem persists with current beta (0.9.7.83). Some problem with updating gauges has been fixed there

RickSinGA
Flight Attendant

Post by RickSinGA » 01 Aug 2020, 23:03

Thanks cOnnex, I am trying to work up the courage to do as you suggest.

I had my FIPs working perfect and the panels kind of working okay with the exception of the Annunciator which didn't/doesn't work at all. I downloaded a supposed Saitek driver fix (??) from the XP org that caused my FIPs to randomly blink the Saitek splash screen, causing me to reload XP from scratch after my frustration level maxed out.

zkiwi
Captain

Post by zkiwi » 02 Aug 2020, 09:11

c0nnex, just checked and Tom's gauges do appear much smoother again so maybe it wasn't the programming and it was Spad slowing the update rate down. Thanks for the update and the heads up.

thedazman
Betatester

Post by thedazman » 02 Aug 2020, 17:52

RickSinGA wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 23:03
Thanks cOnnex, I am trying to work up the courage to do as you suggest.

I had my FIPs working perfect and the panels kind of working okay with the exception of the Annunciator which didn't/doesn't work at all. I downloaded a supposed Saitek driver fix (??) from the XP org that caused my FIPs to randomly blink the Saitek splash screen, causing me to reload XP from scratch after my frustration level maxed out.
You can’t run saitek and SPAD drivers at the same time. If using SPAD and seeing saitek splash screens then you are pumping two sets of data into your gauge! If I’m reading what you said correctly. If so you will had lots of issues and crashes due to conflict
"theDAZman" aka "theGFXguy"
https://fipgauges.com

RickSinGA
Flight Attendant

Post by RickSinGA » 02 Aug 2020, 23:31

I had to disable the Saitek drivers to use the other driver and that is when it all went bad.

Glad to hear Spad.Next works with the Saitek driver although I thought Tom had told me they don't like each other much. With the recent MSF announcement of the 7/18/20 release I am deciding whether to wait before going thru the trouble.

Thanks
Rick S.