Current SPAD.neXt Release: 0.9.12.123

This forum has closed. Please join our Discord Community.

SPAD.neXt online services are no longer available for SPAD.neXt Versions < 0.9.11.5

Multipanel APR and REV button functions

General Discussions
fppilot
Donator

Multipanel APR and REV button functions

Post by fppilot » 06 Nov 2015, 02:10

Been pulling my hair out until this evening I figured out why the three twins I fly would not follow AP vertical guidance when reaching the FAF. I have been accustomed to pressing the APR key on the Multipanel, which for my taste should mirror the action of clicking the APR button on the virtual cockpit autopilot's APR button. Finally I realized that with Spad.Next the Multipanel APR button is configured to Approach Hold, and the Multipanel REV button is slaved to the GS.

How can I configure the Multipanel APR and REV buttons to mirror the action of the VC autopilot buttons? i.e. the APR function follows both course hold and vertical guidance; and the REV function to follow reverse/back course guidance. The aircraft I fly most are the Realair Turbine Duke V2, the Milviz Baron B55, Carenado Beech C90, and less often a number of other add on aircraft where the AP functions are the same.

fppilot
Donator

Re: Multipanel APR and REV button functions

Post by fppilot » 06 Nov 2015, 02:22

Title should read APR and REV button functions

c0nnex
Site Admin

Re: Multipanel ATR and REV button functions

Post by c0nnex » 06 Nov 2015, 02:42

SimConnect or FSUIPC?

To achieve APR activating HOLD and GS , just add an additional action to the APR-ShortClick (ON) setting the (Simulation Data : SimConnect : Autopilot GS HOLD ) to on.
For Rev program it to "Autopilot Backcourse Hold"
(both examples for SimConnect, for FSUIPC you will need to work with Simulation Controls i thing )

Will change that in the default profiles for next update.

fppilot
Donator

Post by fppilot » 06 Nov 2015, 02:49

I am connected through FSUIPC (registered). In Spad.Next I see the settings for the Multipanel by right clicking on the buttons. But I have no idea how to change the settings or even where to find the possible list of commands/codes. Where do I make an edit like you refer to? I find nothing that speaks to that in the Quick Start Guide which is the only guide I can find. Where can I find more help.

Also, could you edit the original topic title to read APR so others here understand the title? The ability to edit went away very quickly. Thanks.

c0nnex
Site Admin

Post by c0nnex » 06 Nov 2015, 02:55

Right now the only additional source of information is the youtube channel (just click on the youtube symbol on the right)
In one of the videos (sorry, don't remember which one, best start from newest ) this is explained.

Working on docs....

fppilot
Donator

Post by fppilot » 06 Nov 2015, 04:51

I found the settings finally. I was initially looking under the wrong FSUIPC drop down (Simulator Controls) and it has no selection for AP GS. I finally looked under Simulator Data, found another drop down for FSUIPC and found it there. I disabled that setting from the REV button and added it like you suggested to the APR Hold that was already defined for the APR button. Added in two lines, one Shortclick On and the other Shortclick Off. Created a profile, assigned the aircraft models to the profile, activated the provfile. Saved my way out. Rebooted system. Started FSX, confirmed the new profile was active and flew another approach. Still did not work and the NAV button would not light up. Tooltip on the VC AP APR button showed it going on and off when I pressed the Multipanel button. But button w/n light up and airplane did not descend on the GS. Going to bed. Have spent too much time trying to figure out was was the issue in the first place, and too much time trying to correct it. Frustrated.

c0nnex
Site Admin

Post by c0nnex » 06 Nov 2015, 05:07

You will need to add an additional action to the ShortClick On Event ( click the + next to Short click On to attach an addition action to that event) to have them both executed when you push the button.

I'm aware the configuration is hard to understand right now. I'm working on redesigning that part of SPAD.neXt.

Attach the profile (or send to support) I'll have a look.

fppilot
Donator

Post by fppilot » 06 Nov 2015, 17:52

OK. After a fresh night of sleep and armed with knowledge of what I needed to change, I got it working the way I wish.

I had the ShortClick On/Off actions added. What was not taking effect was the value. So I had ShortClick On with a value of 0. I was guessing at the value, putting a 1 in the box, then clicking the save icon. For some reason that was not changing the value in the XML file. But then I typed 1 in the box, hit the <Enter> key on my keyboard, then clicked the save icon and the value did get saved.

Jut some feedback here.....
It did throughout the process take a good deal of poking around to see how the configuration interface worked. Also the Setup Wizard. For the setup wizard, some of the checkboxes do not clearly appear on my screen. Only fishing around, waiting for the mouse pointer to change helped me find those. In the configuration interface, after right clicking on a button on the Multipanel image, it was clear how to go into Configure. But after clicking the gear and getting the Configure window, it is not then clear where to click next. The background is black, the selection bar is so close to black that it is hard to notice, and the accompanying down arrow is so small it is difficult to notice. My resolution is set to 1920 X 1280. One you click the correct area you get a blue border which makes it apparent, but not until then. Once I select Simulation Data it is difficult to tell where to click next in the next window. Again, the box and the dropdown icon are not obvious enough.

c0nnex
Site Admin

Post by c0nnex » 06 Nov 2015, 20:25

fppilot wrote: I was guessing at the value, putting a 1 in the box, then clicking the save icon. For some reason that was not changing the value in the XML file. But then I typed 1 in the box, hit the <Enter> key on my keyboard, then clicked the save icon and the value did get saved.
unfortunately this is a drawback of the current implementation. The application does not know you changed the number until you leave the field. Already working on a solution for that.
fppilot wrote: Jut some feedback here.....
It did throughout the process take a good deal of poking around to see how the configuration interface worked. Also the Setup Wizard. For the setup wizard, some of the checkboxes do not clearly appear on my screen. Only fishing around, waiting for the mouse pointer to change helped me find those.
It was just brought to my attention some days ago, that with the default color scheme the checkboxes etc are hard to see. (no problem with my equipment). The default color scheme will be changed to the light one with next update.
You can go to Settings->Software->Appearance and select "Light" as color scheme. Then it should be no problem anymore to see the checkboxes etc.
fppilot wrote: In the configuration interface, after right clicking on a button on the Multipanel image, it was clear how to go into Configure. But after clicking the gear and getting the Configure window, it is not then clear where to click next. The background is black, the selection bar is so close to black that it is hard to notice, and the accompanying down arrow is so small it is difficult to notice.
I am aware of that and the whole configuration process is currently re-worked to be a) the same for every switch b) easier to understand what to do when and where.
fppilot wrote: My resolution is set to 1920 X 1280. One you click the correct area you get a blue border which makes it apparent, but not until then. Once I select Simulation Data it is difficult to tell where to click next in the next window. Again, the box and the dropdown icon are not obvious enough.
Noted and will be reviewed.

Thanks for your comments about usage/ui and flow. I really appreciate that. Too few people give feedback on the UI/Usability.
I "know" where to click, so tend to think "hey easy going".

-Ulrich

fppilot
Donator

Post by fppilot » 09 Nov 2015, 04:31

Got it working the way I wish, but one anomaly lingers. I am approaching with Autopilot on NAV. when I get to the appropriate approach point I press APR. APR illuminates and subsequently the autopilot follows the lateral and vertical guidance. But sometimes when executing the APR button the NAV button light extinguishes, and at other times it stays lit. Despite that the AP and GPS follow the lateral and vertical guidance properly. Good to go!

But as before, if I ignore the Multipanel and instead use the mouse to click the VC AP buttons, 100% of the time when I am at the correct point in the approach and click the APR button, the NAV button extinguishes and the lateral and vertical guidance are good. So there for some reason appears to be a variable difference between the effect of the Multipanel buttons and the VC AP buttons in regard to the NAV.