Current SPAD.neXt Release: 0.9.12.123

This forum has closed. Please join our Discord Community.

SPAD.neXt online services are no longer available for SPAD.neXt Versions < 0.9.11.5

Arduino controller - Building a GPS

Discussion about special hardware
Oz Flyer
Betatester

Re: Arduino controller - Building a GPS

Post by Oz Flyer » 15 Jan 2018, 06:37

Hi All,
Finally found a friend with a 3D printer and some spare time on his hands.

First prototype of front panel for GPS-500.
P1000647.JPG
Due to the size we made it in two part but I now think I cane reduce the width and get it in one part.
P1000648.JPG
Still have the knobs to be printed.

I hope "OldAirmail" is still reading the forum as he was the driving behind his.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David
OZ Flyer
Near YMMB
40+ year of Flight Siming.
Sim: subLOGIC/Microsoft Flight Sim's/DTG FSX, Microsoft Flight, DTG Filght School/FSW/Train Sim/TSW, ETS2 & ATS.
Hardware: Logitech, Saitek, Arduino 2560's & Leo's, BBI-32, PAC LED.

chrisfyfe
Passenger

Re: RE: Re: Arduino controller - Building a GPS

Post by chrisfyfe » 18 Jan 2018, 03:09

Oz Flyer wrote:Hi All,
Finally found a friend with a 3D printer and some spare time on his hands.

First prototype of front panel for GPS-500.
P1000647.JPG
Due to the size we made it in two part but I now think I cane reduce the width and get it in one part.
P1000648.JPG
Still have the knobs to be printed.

I hope "OldAirmail" is still reading the forum as he was the driving behind his.
The panel is looking great!

Oz Flyer
Betatester

Post by Oz Flyer » 24 Jan 2018, 01:38

Update 2:

3D printing is now done was able to make the panel in one piece.
Now construction starts.

So far mounted the Arduino, Display control board and switchs.
P1000652.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David
OZ Flyer
Near YMMB
Sim: subLOGIC/Microsoft Flight Sim's/DTG FSX, Microsoft Flight, DTG Filght School/FSW/Train Sim/TSW, ETS2 & ATS.

Oz Flyer
Betatester

Post by Oz Flyer » 30 Jan 2018, 10:32

Update 3:

Still Have to mount the panel in the box but have now wired up all the push button switch's, USB & Video cables.
P1000653.JPG
Still need to mount the encoder but I still need to get the knobs 3D printed.
David
OZ Flyer
Near YMMB

lesoreilly
Captain

Post by lesoreilly » 06 Feb 2018, 01:08

Oz Flyer wrote:Update 3:

@Oz Flyer

http://www.simwarekits.com/downloads.html

Those guys are selling a kit with all of the parts needed (well for use with X-Plane) but you have to source the screen and then get the files 3D printed. Not sure if they care as it is just a download on their main page.

I got the files 3D Printed By Shape Ways. They came out pretty nice -- Just got the panels back today.

I will be using it with a MICRO Arduino as soon as it arrives to replace my VRinsight GPS-5.

The files are for using it as a GPS-530 not the GPS-500 Standard Model.

I notice in your running a GPS-530 Gauge in it -- is that the old pay-ware GPS-530 from Reality-XP? Or is that something else that can be used with say P3Dv4?

Oz Flyer
Betatester

Post by Oz Flyer » 06 Feb 2018, 08:02

Thanks for the info I am still very new to the 3D printing side and still looking at what printer I will get.
This is my first attempt at 3D printing to the point I am still learning how to use Fusion 360.
This project is for the FSX GPS-500 and later I may look at the GPS-530, The image in the photo was just from the plane I was flying at the time it is from the Basler BT67 v2 by Manfred Jahn and group default GPS.

The next projects will be the warring panels from the Boeing CH47 Chinook, Basler BT67 and a 6 speed gear shift plate for ETS2/ATS.
David
OZ Flyer
Near YMMB

Oz Flyer
Betatester

Post by Oz Flyer » 06 Feb 2018, 08:38

Just down loaded and had a read of the info on this page one thing to watch out for is the 5" LCD panel he has links to are 640x480 and most video card now only go down to 800x600 I got court with one that I could not get working.
David
OZ Flyer
Near YMMB

lesoreilly
Captain

Post by lesoreilly » 08 Feb 2018, 00:31

Oz Flyer wrote:
Just down loaded and had a read of the info on this page one thing to watch out for is the 5" LCD panel he has links to are 640x480 and most video card now only go down to 800x600 I got court with one that I could not get working.
That is the Native resolution of the screen. However the controller is going to he the deciding factor as it will probably accept other resolutions and then adjust for it. Similar to how the VR-Insight GPS unit I have accepts higher resolutions than what the native resolution is.

Oh well we will wait and see. The Screen is on it's way from Hong Kong.

Oz Flyer
Betatester

Post by Oz Flyer » 08 Feb 2018, 04:52

If you are getting the one from the info (5" one) and it works at 800x600 please let me know as I am after a 5".
The one I used is was 7"
David
OZ Flyer
Near YMMB

lesoreilly
Captain

Post by lesoreilly » 09 Feb 2018, 01:11

Oz Flyer wrote:If you are getting the one from the info (5" one) and it works at 800x600 please let me know as I am after a 5".
The one I used is was 7"

Oh as soon as I have it I will put it together so that I can send the VR-Insight of to a grave :) It's nice and it works. But I hate that I have to run another software app for it to work. The buttons should just be mapped like a Joystick. I hate it when they have this need to make a driver that is not just a joystick.

Even before SPAD.Next you could map buttons to joysticks in FSX and P3D. Things like a GPS are fixed.... I want the OBS to be the OBS. Those are not going to change like all of the other items we need to configure on a plane by plane basis.

Also the "updated" Flight1 GNS530 does not let you map buttons????? They have a comment that this will be a future feature for -- get this -- an additional Fee.. Really you want me to pay you 50 Dollars USD for a "gauge" that does not allow button interaction?? For that I will have to give you more money?? Nope Sorry I will use the default GPS models that come with the planes.